Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Termite Update...And a Discovery.

As I wrote about here, the previous owner (the only owner, actually) had termites. While they were treated and seem (hope? pray?) to be gone, we found more carnage behind the kitchen in the hallway leading to the basement. This area is directly above the previously identified damage in the crawl space. I am not afraid to admit, I hate crawlspaces. Add to it that it is a dirt floor crawl space and I am even less enthused. Given the fact that my dolphin skinned hands are likely to suffer damage, I'm now a bit worried. However, the old lady garments (not the "make me randy" kind mind you), mouse carcasses, and broken ceramic pots make it all better.

As we ripped out the back closet, we found a few things. One, we uncovered a window. Who puts sheet rock over a window?  For a broom closet? It is unclear whether the window ever opened, but hey, natural light is nice! Two, the termite damage traveled up the beams under a window. Although it does not look to be too bad or contain any structural damage we cannot fix, it definitely needs to be addressed. I am taking out some hand hewn beams in the kitchen and may replace the rotten wood with those beams, or save them for something nicer and simply put in some PT instead (more likely and reasonable). Our plan for this space is to insulate since it is an exterior wall (and will hold pipes) and make this the laundry space. It will just fit the machines that I am stealing from my parents my parents are getting rid of from their house. They are front loaders and save us a ton of cash. They just don't know it yet.




Yes, the window will be half covered, but it will allow some light and be way more functional. Plus, do you think Jess will really do laundry -or even step foot- in the bathroom that time forgot?


No comments:

Post a Comment