Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Bathroom Time Forgot

I just wanted to quickly show the bathroom in the basement. If I haven't mentioned this before, it's where our future children will lose their minds with fright. It's awesomely horrible. Delightfully morose. Best of all, most of this spot is original. The bathroom was provided for the first maid, whom research indicates was Katherine Rush. We have plenty of history to divulge but it will take significant time to write, so we will do so when we can properly do so.

Here is the view prior to entry, which was behind the washing machine and dryer area.


A simple paddle socket light above the clawfoot tub.


The awesome fixtures.



The original towel bar.


The room is partitioned and almost looks like bead board. But, something I did not notice until my brother told me, was to take a look behind the water heater.


Creep closer, through an oasis of spiders, my nemesis.


To a rumsford!

Boarded up with a piece of wood. Our guess was this heated the house originally in some capacity. But what a treat! Just when you think you have found all the cool stuff, you find a fireplace. I really do love this house. 


The huge stone slop sink with cast iron legs next to it will have to wait.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. After talking it over with my fathers-in-law, they think it might have just been a structural support for the above hearth/fp. Of course, it could be a shallow fp, but there's no way to know without closer inspection at some point.

      Delete